Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My younger sister is turning wayward

Dear Agatha, I have been an ardent reader of your column for a very long time now and I want to say I appreciate your good work. My problem has to do with my immediate younger sister. Sometime ago, I walked into a situation where she and boy were about to have sex. My presence frustrated their plan. The boy ran away. I thought my verbal thrashing of her would change her, but I suspect she is now into so many boys, a development which is giving me some sleepless nights. In my confusion on the best way to handle this matter without creating a scene between the two of us, I told some on my friends who advised that I should not treat her with kid gloves; they want me to be harsh with her, but that may mean attracting the attention of my parents whose course of action, should they know, I fear. Please tell me, do I tell my parents? What way do you think is best for me to handle the matter, should I decide to handle the issue on my own? I want solution before she goes far in her ways. Jay Dear Jay, Before telling your parents, sit her down for a heart-to-heart discussion. Start by expressing your love as well as the entire family to her. Go ahead to tell her of the family’s hopes and dreams for her. Tell her how proud of her you once were. Make her understand that of recent, however, that all those dreams and hopes you and the family wove around her are coming to nought as a result of her behaviour. Inform her that her indiscriminate relationship with men is making her too notorious for your liking. Present her with the picture of disappointment and pain you currently feel at her behaviour. Tell her to think: If your disappointment is this deep, how would your parents feels when they find out about her atrocities? It is only when she refuses to listen to you that you should tell your parents who are more equipped at handling this kind of issues. The truth is, if you don’t take actions now out of fear, you will end encouraging her to be more promiscuous than she already is. Telling your parents isn’t betraying her, but telling her how much you care for her and want her to make something good out of her life. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment