Thursday, February 23, 2012

Should our love relations end now?

Agatha Edo, 08054500526 e-mail: gataedo@yahoo.com


Dear Agatha,
May the Almighty God give you more wisdom for the good work you are doing.
I am 28 years of age while my girlfriend is 21. We have been together for a year and four months and we are very much in love with each other. Although we are from the same state, live in the same state, we live in different towns.
I only get to see her at weekends when she either comes to visit me or I go to her. I practically know all her friends including those ones that live off campus.
We have been very happy together until recently when I went to visit her and met a female friend in her room at 9:30 p.m.
After staying a while, I left the room and she quickly followed me. Outside she told me her friend would be passing the night in her room. Since I came to be with her, I was irritated by this information and told her the arrangement did not go down well with me since it would prevent any privacy between us.
To underscore my annoyance, I told her I would be going back to town since my aim of coming was defeated. She thought I was bluffing since it was already too late for me to get any vehicle back to town.
Agatha, I had to pass the night at the Police Station since there was no vehicle back to town and no other place I could go that night.
 She called later to find out where I was and became very angry when I told her of my decision to take shelter at a Police Station when I couldn’t get any vehicle back to town.
When I called her the next day from my house to tell her I had got home, she told me to return all her pictures and other items with me. I was very disappointment by her reactions but I still went to her but without the pictures.
In response to my query, she said she said those things out of annoyance for my decision to sleep at the Police Station leaving her and her friend in the house. We were however able to settle the disagreement. 
Agatha, from what I have narrated, who was at fault? Let assume for the sake argument I was wrong, is that enough reason for her to demand I return her pictures and other items with me?
I love this girl so much, but how can I be sure this will not repeat itself in future if I do anything wrong? Advise me whether to quit or what measures I should take because I would not want to regret my action in future.
I am so confused please help me.
Law.

Dear Law,
You are both guilty of immaturity. Even if she didn’t discuss the need for her friend to pass the night at her place with you, you still should have handled the matter with maturity.
Social courtesy demanded you listened to her explanation and reasoned it out with her. Yes, you came to be with her but what harm would have resulted in you accommodating the friend of your girlfriend that night? You acted selfishly and unreasonably by walking out on them. It didn’t present you to her or the friend as a reasonable man or one who is friendly.
Even if you came to have sex with your girlfriend, that one-night abstinence wouldn’t have caused you any major harm.
Besides, it was foolhardy of you to have left in the middle of the night all because you couldn’t have your way of spending the night with your girlfriend. What if something terrible had happened? What would be your excuse? That you died a needless death because of sex?
Agreed she was wrong to have taken the decision to shelter her friend that night without consulting you first, more so, as she was expecting you that day, you didn’t have to leave if for nothing, for the sake of your safety.
A lot of things could have gone wrong and she would easily have become the prime suspect of people who are in the know that you went to visit her.
No amount of provocation is worth compromising one’s life for.
Again, love means sharing. If you love her, you would also consider her feelings. How do you expect her or that friend to feel when you walked out on them?
To be candid, your attitude was embarrassing and full of provocations. Even if you didn’t mean to, you made her feel the only thing you were interested in her was sex.
Your decision to sleep in the Police Station instead of her room and her friend in safety of her room may have made her so angry and loathsome of you. Her reactions were perfectly normal but asking you to return her pictures and other things with her were childish.
But that doesn’t mean she loves you less. It is just her way of showing disapproval.
From what has happened, it is obvious you both still have a long way to go. Your relationship is obviously deficient in so many things. Love doesn’t form simply by expressing it through the words of the mouth alone. It is something you both must devote all your energy and time to make it work. You both must resolve to take this relationship out of the bedroom into the open air where it would be possible for you to each learn what makes the other tick. You have to study your tolerance levels, your ideals, understand your need of each other beyond the thrills of sex, know how to become friends with each other as well as appreciating the uniqueness that make you both different from everybody else. Love is a huge willingness to sacrifice yourself for your partner.
Unless you devote time to know the real and important sides of each other, this relationship may not last because values you both need to succeed as an item are still missing.
Importantly, you should pray for wisdom and maturity to be able to govern your home successfully.
Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment