Thursday, August 12, 2010

Lying got me her love, now she kicks over that

Dear Agatha,
Please help me.  I am in danger of losing the most important woman in my life. I told a thousand lies to cover a single lie. I didn’t intend serious relationship from the beginning, but as time went on, I became very fond of her; my feelings for her grew stronger.
Fearing the repercussion of her knowing that my feelings for her weren’t honorable at the initial stage, I didn’t know tell her about my new feelings for her. I figured she might never forgive me as we had been dating for fours then. To crown it all her family members, especially her mother knew and accepted me with love.
Somehow she found out the truth and became livid with anger. She found out that I had all along being lying to her about the course I studied in school, my family background and other things. Like I said, I didn’t plan to be serious with her when we first met, so I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong by lying about my family and me. Then I figured she wasn’t going to be around to find out the truth. I really want to spend the rest of my life with her. Her mother has forgiven me, but my girlfriend is finding it difficult to forgive me even though she said she had done that. Her attitude has changed towards me, saying it would take time for her to ever love me again.
Agatha, please help me. She is my all in life. I don’t mind if you help me talk to her. I still love her. I don’t care how long it will take her to love me again I want her back in my life. Please help me talk to her. 
Leo.

Dear Leo,
I called her as requested by you. She assured me she has since forgiven you, but has moved on with her life.
Judging from her response, I think she is still hurting at your avalanche of lies and would need time to properly heal. You must try to understand that it isn’t going to be easy to immediately forgive you what you did to her. Your lies created more than an image problem for you. Even if she forgives you, how is she going to trust you again if for four years, you have lived a lie with her? The only thing she is sure about you for the four years she dated you is your name. It would take more than forgiveness to make her trust you the way she did.
For now she doesn’t trust anything you represent and can’t tell after all the lies you have told her for four years when you are telling the truth now. She not only feels used, but also betrayed by the man she thought she would spend the rest of her life with. There is also the issue of her family witnessing the humiliation of your duplicity.
Even if she forgets all the lies you told her, would she ever be able to erase the memories from the minds of her family members? Her mother can claim to forgive, but would she ever forget when an issue that has to do with you comes up? This isn’t just a matter of you lying to her, but also that of your credibility as a human being and the man she wants to spend the rest of her life with?
Relationship strives on trust and once there is a breach of it, getting it right on track may not be so easy since issues that would also require her to trust you unconditionally would always come up.
Had you just lied about your feelings for her she may not be as angry as she currently is now but to lie about your discipline, your family and other important facts? In her mind now the question is, who really are you?
You acted irresponsibly and hurt her in the worst way a man can hurt a woman. Knowing that she gave herself to lies is perhaps what is upsetting her the most. Until she is able to reconcile the man she thought you were to the man you really are, allow her be. You are definitely not the man she fell in love with. She fell in love with an image of the person you pretended to be and unless she heals properly enough to look beyond your current wrap, there is nothing you can say or do to make her change her mind.
If you love her that much now, you just must learn to pay the sacrifice of being patient and prayerful to make her go beyond the point of forgiveness and forgetting altogether. In issues like this, the forgiveness part is the easiest, but the forgetting side that is hardest to do.
As it stands now, only God can make her change her mind especially as she said she has moved on with her life. For now, continue to go through her mother to help you talk to her, at least for her to be your friend. Don’t expect any miracles immediately, if she agrees to be friend with you be contented until she makes up her mind again about you. She has to be sure she can trust you again.
Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment