Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Need Retroviral Drugs, Doctor Says I’m HIV-positive

 

Dear Agatha,

Please, I need advice and help urgently. Three weeks ago, I had fever and cough, and decided to take some familiar malaria tablets. Despite taking the drugs, my condition didn’t improve so I decided to go to see a doctor. After explaining my state of health to the doctor, he recommended some drugs for me.  Again I noticed these drugs did nothing to ameliorate my critical health situation, therefore I went to see another doctor who then sent me for medical tests. There again, I was told I had malaria parasites. 

Since none of the drugs recommended did anything to reduce my high temperature, I decided on my own to go for HIV test, which turned out positive. I am very confused and disturbed because my partner with whom I have been sexually active is negative.  We have resolved to first of all seek medical solutions before going spiritual, prayers. We both live in Aba. Please can you connect us to any place we can get the retroviral drugs and other necessary counselling?

 Mercy. mercymemere@yahoo.com


Dear Mercy, 

I don’t know what obtains in Aba, but most government hospitals across the country in addition to giving free HIV test services; provide treatments almost at no cost too. 

To be sure you have HIV, go to any nearest government hospital and go for a test. There have been instances of someone people confirmed to be HIV positive turning out to be free of the deadly virus. 

It is therefore advisable you and your mate go for another test in a government hospital to forestall the unnecessary anxiety caused by wrong diagnosis. If at the end of the day you are found to be positive, always have this at the back of your mind, unlike some few years back, when HIV was considered by both the society and the families of the person living with it as being the end of the world; a lot advancement has been made medically to make the disease more manageable. And very soon, the drugs to completely cure it would be available in the market. The retroviral drugs, in the interim, are effectively helping to give the person a normal life.  Even though there is still massive discrimination going on against HIV positive people, the government is as determined as ever to make life more meaningful and normal for those who are living with it. 

Medically, it is possible for women living positively to have children who are HIV free. As with every other health condition, even the most common and harmless, cold, good and prompt management is always required to water down the negative effects of whatever health condition one is having. 

If you are finally diagnosed as being HIV positive, try not to panic or do something foolish. Always appreciate that life is a phase and that God will never give a burden too difficult for His child to bear. Also refuse to be condemned by the society who thinks all HIV positive people are promiscuous, hence suffering the consequences of their lifestyle. In life if you allow the world to put you down, chances of you ever getting up again to your feet are slim. So from this early learn to fight for what makes you exceptionally happy. Just like everyone else, be assured you have a right to be happy irrespective of whatever your health situation is. Despite the stigma that goes with HIV, there are some other medical situations with more physical excruciating pains than HIV. HIV is more psychological than physical. Once able to get over the shock, the rest is a lot easier than you think.

Seeking spiritual help isn’t a problem provided you are broadminded of the situation. God can cure us of all our afflictions and diseases, but some He purposely allows us go through to serve a particular purpose either in our lives or that of others around us. 

The most important thing is allowing His will prevail in everything we do. For help and more counselling, you can call Toyin in Owerri on 0803-600-1934 or Bunmi, Port Harcourt, 0803-710-4250; they are members of the Hope Worldwide, a support group that offers tremendous help and services to people living with HIV or Rolake, Lagos, 0803-303-5895.

Good luck. 


Lonely Heart

Dear Agatha,
I was particularly drawn to the request made by Fred in today’s edition, who seeks a woman friendship.
I was kind of enthralled at his presentation, as he seems to me to be someone who knows what he wants. 
The qualities he highlighted are to me the very pillars of great and enduring relationship. 
I would like to know him more and see if we could be great friends to each other. 
Since there is no direct contact to him, and since he wants to be reached through your medium, could you then please let him have my email address: davids.diana@yahoo.com
Would be very glad for your assistance. 
Peace.

Dear Fred, 

Please get in touch with Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment