Thursday, July 11, 2013

My ordeal

Dear Agatha, Ten years ago, I was poor, homeless and certainly not in a position to care for a child. Besides, the man responsible denied the pregnancy and I. There was nowhere for me to stay let alone the baby. I was living under the Ojuelegba bridge. When I fell into labour, I was rushed to General Hospital at Randle. There I heard about a woman who through gossips from the nurses, doesn’t have a child and may not due to complications of an abortion that went bad. As a result, I heard her husband drove her out to marry another woman. It was not difficult getting her address from the nurses so, after I was discharged, I took my baby to her doorsteps very early in the morning before day break and ran away but not without explaining my reasons. I didn’t bother to return to my previous post at Oluelegba. With the little money I made, I ran to Ibadan to begin a new life. As God would have it, things changed for me the moment I got to Ibadan. I not only found love but tremendous success in my business. I am blessed with three other children, two boys and a girl but my mind keeps going back to my baby, I left on the doorsteps of that childless woman. Although I haven’t told my husband about my son, I intend to just as I want that child back in my life. There is no day I don’t think about the child. A friend of mine I confided in said I should forget the child. According to her, it would cause problems in my home but sincerely, I don’t care. I want my child back. I love my other three children but not enough to make me forget my first fruit in life. Since January this year, I have been having this strong feeling that I should go and take the child. I actually planned to visit the woman. From my findings she is still in that house with my son who is now in a private secondary school. What do you think? I have never forgiven myself for what I did. Tutu. Dear Tutu, Fate has a way of dealing with us, bringing us on our knees to face a past we so much wish to forget. It also has the knack of planning our lives in such a way that it weaves the past into our present and future. You are who you are today because of that past. There is no running away from it. For the future you plan for yourself to be peaceful, you must settle the past in such a way it doesn’t destroy all your present efforts. This is why you must discuss with your husband first. He represents your present. The issues of your son and husband must be handled with maturity by you for the future to be well placed. You are no longer in a position to take unilateral decisions. You are answerable to this man, so confide everything in him. Even though you were very wrong not to have told him that part of your life, inform him about the child you had and abandoned, don’t make another costly mistake of going to the woman without informing him. Besides, the child now has another mother. You owe your husband that much. You also have a duty to inform your three other children about the boy irrespective of whether he comes home or not. It is to guard against the nasty incident of two siblings going into a relationship later in life. They must know that somewhere in your past, they have a brother one you gave up for adoption when things were difficult for you. I appreciate every concern you have for this child as a mother but first give this concern a solid base. This is the point you tell him everything about your past. Your family, what led you as a young girl to take up residence under the bridge, why you didn’t leave the child with your mother or any family member instead of abandoning the baby with a complete stranger. There are too many missing pieces in your life of which, the neglect of your child is only a part of it. Sit your husband down and relay the entire story of your life. Being truthful is the only way he can understand or appreciate why you can afford to dump your new born baby at the doorstep of a total stranger. Doubtless, your actions are condemnable, the fact that you didn’t ditch the baby inside the dustbin lessens the gravity of what you had done. Stand on this platform to plead your case with your husband who may be taken aback by the obvious callousness in your actions. The need to safeguard your home before setting out to find your son cannot be over-emphasised. This boy needs peace if he is to come to you. It would be pointless bringing him to a home where he would never find love or be completely part of. Don’t forget that you have acted irresponsibly once; not getting the consent of your husband fully before setting out will pit your children against each other. The ones at home will feel that you are neglecting them for a child you left a decade ago. In a way, you will be enacting what you did to your first son with your other children. It will be like making the same mistake twice. Go, only if your husband gives his permission. Despite being the biological mother of that child, you gave up your right to him the very moment you left him at the doorstep of the other woman. If the other woman has acted like you, what child will you be contemplating going back to? She was the one who did all the hard-work; the sleepless nights, changing the dirty diapers, crying with the baby when ill; singing and dancing to imaginary music when the baby is restless. The baby is more of hers now than yours. There is no way she would willingly hand over her son to you simply because you brought that child to life. Besides, you don’t have any legal right to want the child back. Don’t forget you committed a crime against the state by dumping that child the way you did. What if a ritualist got to the child before she did? Unless you plan to kill this other woman before her time, don’t consider taking the child away from her. The best you can do, if you must go, is to see her first. Introduce yourself to her and let her know that you appreciate her care of the boy. Let the decision to introduce you to the child come from her. If she insists on you not meeting the child, go but plead with her to give you a picture of the child as well as the name he now bears. Explain your reasons to her; you don’t want your children sleeping with each other out of ignorance. Make her understand this fact; that you don’t want to take the child away from her but to ensure you keep the link between the children alive. It is one of the sacrifices you must make for that decision to desert the child then. To do otherwise would make you appear as a very selfish woman, who at every point in her life puts her interest first and foremost. Feelings are not what you turn on and off like taps. This child you seek for now has a root and a sense of allegiance to the woman he has grown to love as a mother whereas, you are a complete stranger to him. Had you come back almost immediately after you made it in Ibadan, it would have been a different case but waiting for a decade? There are certain things in life that are best left in the cupboard of time. Whether you forgive yourself or not, the fact remains that your interest in this drama involving your first son must be played down because there are now more people involved in the matter. It was your decision to leave him but if he is to come back to you, the opinion, feelings and consent of others involved must be considered. Above all, you also need to pray to know the plans of God for you and this child. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment