Thursday, October 29, 2009

I’m Pregnant For My Uncle, Can Abortion Do Any Good?


Dear Agatha,


I came to live with my uncle who was supposed to help me look for a job. He sent his wife away on account of my coming and for the fact that I am very beautiful. The problem lingered for a month before they parted ways.


I didn’t need anybody to tell me she left because of me. When she left, my uncle started buying me cloths as well as other things.


On a particular day, he came to my room and slept with me after which I became pregnant. Now do I go for abortion or keep the pregnancy.


Please help me and don’t forget in your response that this man is my uncle.


Helpless Girl.



Dear Helpless Girl,

It is too late for regrets because you knew from the very beginning what your uncle’s agenda was and what your reactions to his intentions would be. This, more than your coming, made his wife to pack out of her matrimonial home and not you coming to live with them.


When he sent out his wife on account of you, what did you do? Did you inform your parents about it knowing that it was wrong for him to have sent her away, because you came to stay with them? The truth is you wanted her out of the way so you can have him to yourself.


Besides, since you suspected him to be captivated by your beauty and was likely to take advantage of you without his wife around, why didn’t you at that point go back to your parents?


Frankly, I don’t think you are telling the whole truth. The line about the wife leaving because of you and being intimated by your beauty show that whatever the problem is, didn’t begin when you came to live with them.


There is no way she would pack out of the house on account of you coming to live with them especially as you, his niece, one known to her. Yes, she can object and resent having you in her house as most women are in the habit of doing, but unless there is profound reason, one that threatens her security in the house, she won’t have left.


When your uncle came to your room, would you say you were raped? What efforts did you put up at preventing the situation? Did you report to your parents? Even if you have no money to go back home, did you bother to report the incident via phone to them?


That you are wise enough to suggest having an abortion shows you are not exactly innocent, that you must have had previous experiences, hence do know when a man is interested in sleeping with a woman. It is obvious from your story that he didn’t rape you, you gave him what he wanted, and at that point, you forgot the nature of your relationship with him. Even if the man is shameless, you didn’t behave well.


As for the pregnancy, the decision of what to do lies with you and your so-called uncle. It is a decision you both have to make, but one thing is clear, it is in your interest to pack out of that house as soon as possible so that the rightful owner of the house can come back.


Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment