Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hope Irregular Monthly Flow Means No Threat?


Dear Agatha,


I am a regular reader of your column. I thank you so much for your pieces of advice that have been solving problems of so many people. I gain a lot from reading your column. I have this problem that has been bothering me a lot.

It concerns my menstrual cycle. I started having my period six years ago. I started with five days before it dropped to three days suddenly.

I didn’t bother at the change in the number of days at the time because I assumed it was normal.

It was last year when I read your column on ovulation that I decided to go for a medical test concerning my irregular flow. When the results came out it showed I have what the doctor called "candiasis."

He prescribed some drugs that I promptly took. Despite completing the treatment, my flow has pegged at two days. I went for another text only to be told I still have candiasis.

My question now is if there is anything to worry about since my flow has remained consistent and constant every month? I really need your help on what steps to follow because I don’t want any problems with my reproductive health in future.

Ngozi.


Dear Ngozi,

Even from experience I know that the number of days a woman flows has nothing to do with her fertility, I still suggest you go back to the doctor for further treatment. It is important you deal with this issue once and for all.

Your doctor should be able to tell you how this condition would affect you and the likely reasons it is has refused to be cured by the prescribed drugs. Sincerely, he is in the best position to give the type of assurances you require of me because I am not a medical doctor. The doctor has your medical history as well as the knowledge of what to look for and the drugs to use to alleviate the situation.

However, if you are not satisfied you have a right to a second and even third opinion provided you have the patience and time to invest in ensuring you get the answers you are looking for.

Go to a government hospital nearest to you. Despite the problems with our health sector, government hospitals still parade the best and most competent of the country’s best medical professionals.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment